As a government-approved training provider, we are a well-respected name in our industry and provide professional HGV / LGV training courses in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham and the North East. We are extremely proud of our customer satisfaction, and our qualified training providers are the perfect people to lead arrange your HGV / LGV Training course or Driver CPC Card training.

We also offer

See below the different category information related to our HGV / LGV courses:

HGV/LGV Vehicle Category Information


For any vehicle weighing over 7.5 tonnes with a detachable trailer, this is the license you need. These vehicles, commonly known as ‘artics’, tend to be used for long haul, national and international routes. Class C+E drivers can generally expect to earn a minimum of £32,000 per year. 


If you are looking to drive a vehicle with a rigid-based body that’s over 7.5 tonnes, for example, skip handlers, fire engines or refuse collection vehicles, then this is the license you’re looking for. These vehicles are usually operated around towns and cities; starting salaries for Cat C drivers are commonly around £26,000 per year. 


This license is for goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes but under 7.5. For those who got their driving license after 1997, a separate test will be required. It’s worth noting that, if you take your Cat C, you’re automatically eligible for Cat C1. With this in mind, it’s worth taking a full Cat C course and getting both for the price of one.


If you have already obtained a Cat C1 license and need to tow more weight, but don’t want to retrain on a larger vehicle, this is the license you need. By completing the training for this license, you will be able to drive a vehicle of 12 tonnes (with the vehicle itself weighing somewhere between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes).

While the C1+E is useful, we would normally recommend the Cat C or C+E course, as this will net you a much wider variety of job opportunities for the same time and cost to train. But if you have no desire to drive larger vehicles, the C1+E is for you.


If you want to tow a car or a van, B+E is for you. With this license, you can drive a vehicle with maximum authorised mass (weight of vehicle/trailer including maximum load that can be carried safely) of 3,500 kilograms. The size of the trailer you can pull will depend on the ‘valid from’ date shown on your license. If the date is before 19/1/13, you can tow a trailer of any size; after 19/1/13, you can tow a trailer with a maximum authorised mass of 3,500kg.

What’s the difference between HGV and LGV?

In short: there isn’t one. HGV stands for ‘heavy goods vehicle’ and LGV stands for ‘large goods vehicle’ (not ‘light goods vehicle’, as it’s commonly mistaken). That is, under UK and European law, HGV and LGV licenses are one and the same. They cover all commercial vehicles that have a gross combination mass of over 3500 kilograms, including both articulated and rigid trucks.

Many people still think that LGV vehicle licenses are concerned with vans and pickup trucks that are under 3500kilograms, but this isn’t the case. In fact, you can drive one of these vehicles with your standard car driving license (category B).

If you are looking to get an HGV/LGV licence there are only a few things you need. The first is a full UK licence, the second is to be over the age of 18, and the last step is to pass a medical and theory test and attend a 5-day training course. HST Ltd can arrange a bespoke package around you to help you obtain your HGV/LGV licence. Give us a call to find out more.